In honor of Memorial Day, I wanted to share a fun, festive recipe. I made this cake a couple of years ago and it was a huge hit with the family! It’s super easy, doesn’t take long to prepare (minus the bake time of course) and will be a big hit at any party. Also the perfect recipe for those of you who need a last minute idea, definitely quick and simple!
American Flag Cake
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Makes: 1 – 9×13 inch cake
- 1 yellow cake mix (plus ingredients listed to prepare cake)
- 1 8oz container frozen cool whip topping (thawed)
- 1 pint of blueberries (I used the frozen kind and just let them thaw)
- 2 pints of strawberries (again, I used the frozen kind and just let them thaw)
- Prepare cake according to box directions and back in 9×13 inch pan. I used a disposable pan since I would be traveling with the cake. Let cool completely,
- Frost the cake with whipped topping,
- Place blueberries in a square in the corner,
- Arrange strawberries to create the stripes of the flag,
- Chill until serving.
As I look back on my picture, I have to laugh just a little. Back when I made this cake I was just learning to cook and I followed directions 100%. The recipe called for so many blueberries and that’s exactly what I used. Now I see that I have way too many “stars” so next time I make this yummy dessert, I know to only use enough blueberries to create fifty stars.
Enjoy your fun, festive cake!