I decided a couple of years ago to update Abby’s room to a more “tween” style instead of little girl. I never really got around to doing much since we decided we wanted to move, I didn’t see a reason to fix up a room we were just going to leave. Once we found our new house, room makeover plans were full steam ahead! As we packed and prepared to move, I eliminated things and purchased new items for her new room at the new house.
I’m so excited to finally create her own little space for her!
One piece of furniture for her new room is actually an old piece that I found on Facebook Marketplace a few years ago. For those that follow me on Instagram, I shared this project when we first did everything. Now I’m finally able to share here as well.
Abby needed a new chest of drawers but I was on a budget so I headed to the Marketplace to see what kind of bargains I could find. I was in luck that day because I came across this really nice chest that a guy was selling for only $20. It was on his trailer, he wanted it gone, I quickly sent my husband after it (around here, things absolutely do not last!).
The chest didn’t seem to have anything wrong with it… aside from the odd color. It was in great shape, solid, nothing broken, and all of the drawers worked great, it was an amazing find!
Now to just update it for Abby’s room!
I absolutely adored the drawer pulls that came with the chest of drawers (seriously, those are quite pricey at the store, definitely makes this an even more awesome find) and wanted to keep them. I wanted a simple color that was pretty but would transition well with her decor as she got older. The nice thing is the chest is solid wood, no particular board here! That made sanding it much easier.
Time to get started!
Lots of sanding to be done! Not only was the chest that weird seafoam green but it was several other layers of colors including red! It took my husband a couple of hours to finish up.
And of course rain and his crazy work schedule interferred so it sat in the carport as a work in progress for several days.
Finally ready to paint!
She’s so cute trying to help!
I decided I actually liked the green color for the inside of the drawers, it provides a fun pop of color and goes well with the cream and flower pulls.
And finally, it’s all finished up!
I love how it turned out and it works perfectly for her new room decor. I’ve debated changing out the pulls but I like the flowers and they work nicely with everything so I think I’ll just stick with those.
Looking back at this little project, I’m reminded that we can do this, it’s not as difficult as I think it is to repaint furniture. Nerve-wracking sure because I always worry I’m going to mess something up but finding older pieces that need a little TLC allows us to create pieces that better suit what we are needing/wanting.
I’m getting ready to paint several pieces for the new house: my office desk, a chest for my room (if I can find one on Marketplace), a couple of nightstands once I find some and my large bookshelf. Yeah, I actually look for pieces that need a little work, need a little TLC because I can make them unique and exactly what we are looking for.
Check back for more project posts as we decorate and settle into the new house! I can’t wait to share all our painting and remodeling fun with you!