I love baking.
I especially love baking during the holidays!
Which is pretty funny considering my terrible lack of skills in the kitchen… but more on that in another post.
While I have limited skills for cooking meals, most of which require my crock pot, I found joy in baking and have enjoyed experimenting and learning over the years.
I think what really got me started was my brother finding a dessert he wanted and jokingly asked me to make it for him. I took on the challenge and mailed the yummy treats to him as a surprise. Not only were they a big hit with him but also with his co-workers. Ever since, I look for new things to try.
Which leads me to this amazing dessert…
Cinnamon Apple Spice Cake
It is quite rare to find a cake all three of us enjoy yet this Cinnamon Apple Spice Cake was an instant favorite for my family!
With a little helpful feedback from my husband, I made a few little changes and made the cake just right for us. It has now become part of our traditional holiday meal.
Best of all? It’s incredibly simple to make and only needs a few ingredients!
- (1) Box of Super Moist Spice Cake Mix
- (3) large eggs
- (1) 21 oz can of Apple Pie Filling
- Cinnamon Sugar (plain cinnamon works too!)
- Cream Cheese Icing (you can substitute a different flavor)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease/spray bottom of cake pan. Set aside for now.
- Take the dry cake mix and dump it into a mixing bowl.
- Add the apple pie filling. *you can leave the apple slices big or chop them up, we prefer smaller apple pieces.
- Add eggs
- Mix until well blended. Mixture will be thick!
- Pour half of cake mixture into cake pan and smooth top.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the cake mixture making sure to cover completely and generously. *plain cinnamon works great too!
- Pour the remaining cake mix into the pan and smooth top.
- Sprinkle more cinnamon sugar generously over the mixture.
- Bake for roughly 30 minutes or until fully done (ovens cook differently so please adjust time based on your oven. Use a toothpick to know when center of cake is fully cooked).
- Let cool then top with icing.
While this cake works for any special occasion (or just when you want cake!), it’s especially perfect for the holiday season! Let me know if you give it a try! Enjoy!